“Things do not change, we change.” Henry David Thoreau
Since we get what we think, we talk, we focus on, we say to ourselves and we believe in ourselves, we must first become aware of what we think and say on a regular basis.
Do you have the habit of putting you down, Are you constantly telling yourself that you are not good enough or that you have not done enough, Do you tell yourself that you’re bad, stupid or lazy on a regular basis, This behavior must cease or you will manifest only more experiences that prove you are right. Negative discord is a self-fulfilling prophecy.
So, how do you stop the negative speech, How do you change your habitual behavior to bring you down, Simply deciding to stop the behavior is not always enough. You need a way to break your negative model.
I used the Elastic Band Technique for many years to remind myself that I decided to choose something new: a new behavior, a new thinking, a new action or a new reaction.
So, how does the Rubber Band technique work, Let’s take the example of continually putting ourselves. You have decided to change this behavior, but you find yourself falling back into that habit, from time to time, because it’s so automatic. It happens before you think about it a lot. The secret is to catch yourself in the behavior and immediately choose something else.
Put a rubber band around your wrist and every time you find yourself putting down, snap the rubber band and deliberately choose to replace the negative self-talk with a positive phrase. The elastic is a puzzle that attracts your attention and reminds you that you are choosing a new behavior. It acts to take you back to the present moment, so you can consciously choose a new behavior until that new behavior becomes your automatic response.
Here is another example. Maybe you’re a plaintive. How can the rubber band technique be applied, Establish your intention to surprise yourself. Whenever you notice this behavior, snap the rubber band and remind yourself that you are no longer willing to tolerate that kind of behavior.
Here are other ways to apply the elastic band technique.
* Take a standing food.
* Catch yourself reach for the second help of food or dessert.
* Catch yourself talking about someone behind them.
* Take yourself cursing.
* Take yourself to judge others.
* Catch yourself driving past the speed limit.
* You find yourself screaming at bad drivers. It is up to you to address your negative, and perhaps even destructive, habits. You have a choice.
“They say that time changes things, but in reality you have to change them yourself.” Andy Warhol
Steps to change a negative behavior.
1. Find a rubber band that fits your wrist freely.
2. Decide what thoughts, words, behaviors or actions you want to change.
3. Decide which positive thoughts, words, behaviors or actions you will replace for negative behavior.
4. Whenever you find yourself engaged in the behavior you want to change, snap the band, remind yourself that you have chosen a new behavior and immediately replace the old behavior with the new behavior.
“Everyone thinks of changing the world, but nobody thinks about changing himself.” Leo Tolstoy
Once you are more aware of the negative thoughts, words, behaviors and actions you want to change, you need some positive behaviors to incorporate.